👋 Hi, I'm Jonathan Chacko!
I'm an aspiring software engineer and senior Computer Science student at the University of Texas at Austin. Here's my resume.
What I'm working on
- I'm currently working as a research assistant for the Cenik Lab, building browser-based tools to visualize ribosome profiling experiment data.
- Lightbulb Education is an educational services company co-founded by me and Adam Nguyen. We're focused on helping school districts implement technology effectively in the classroom through actionable professional development and well-designed software. We've created and are maintaining LB Dismiss, a platform for helping schools dismiss quickly and safely.
- On the side, I'm really interested in all aspects of music production, from composition to mixing and mastering. Currently, I'm working on (re)learning how to read sheet music competently and how to use Massive.
What I've worked on
The Cenik Lab is part of the Department of Molecular Biosciences at the University of Texas at Austin, focused on using cutting edge techniques to understand RNA translation.
Ribograph is is an interactive tool for browsing ribosome profiling data. It lets researchers visualize their own experiment data through an intuitive web-based interface rather than tinkering around with Python or R commands.
- Their website.
Moksha Data is a boutique data science firm based in Houston, TX focused on serving non-profits. Here's a sample of some cool stuff I worked on as a Data Scientist there:
- The 211 Recommender Tool utilizes a deep neural network to predict the most likely referral sites for callers to United Way's 211 helpline.
- The Inventory Forecasting Tool leverages natural language processing and machine learning to provide an operational view and projections for inventory data at the Houston Food Bank.
- The Rental Assistance Dashboard presents data and provides measures of equitability for the City of Houston's and Harris County's rental assistance programs (RAP) implemented in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Their website.
Here are some educational technology presentations I've done at professional development sessions and conferences, both on my own and as part of Lightbulb Education.
- Don't Use Technology in the Classroom - Presented at Humble ISD Learning Reimagined PD, Summer 2020
- Hacking in High School - Presented at Google and Beyond in Humble ISD with Adam Nguyen, February 2020
- Don’t Use Technology in the Classroom - Presented at TCCA 2019
- Google Forms PD Session - Summer Creek High School PD, 2019
- Google Sites for ePortfolios - Humble ISD Student Showcase 2018
Formfill is a Google Sheets add-on that allows users to dynamically prefil Google Forms in bulk, and generate QR codes that link to these uniquely prefilled forms.
More about it here.
Odds and ends
Little projects here and there that I've worked on for a flutter:
- Simple Website Lock was created to serve as an alternative to using Google Forms with input validation as a way to "hide" content, say during a digital breakout. Instead of hiding a password client side where a clever student can easily find it, it encryptes your message using the password itself, so it's nearly unrecoverable unless you find the password.
- I made a site that attempts to estimate pi using a client-side Monte Carlo simulation after watching this video. I made it a long time ago, so apologies in advance for its crudeness.
Tech I'm good with
- Proficient in Python - data pipelines, machine learning, Flask, Django
- Cloud Storage and Computing - Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services, serverless applications